Thursday, August 16, 2012

Wild Berry Cobbler

I must admit that when I went to Kruger Farm to do some late season berry picking I was bummed to discover that the season is over. Currently, only flowers are available through U-pick. Peaches will be ready soon though!

Since we were already there we decided to check out one of the trails on Sauvie Island we've yet to visit. We stopped at one off Reeder Road on the way to the beaches. Drew and Jim saw some cool birds, and Drew got to check off a few he hadn't seen before in his bird book. The most exciting part for me was that we also found hundreds of (fairly accesible) wild blackberry bushes! Most were ripe and ready for the pickin, and I luckily had an empty plastic bag in the car. We walked out to Coon Point picking (and eating) berries and looking for birds. It turned out to be an even better Sauvie Island trip than I expected.

I came home and made cobbler. This is the third time I've had this cobbler this summer. My friend has made it twice, and I can't get enough of it. I didn't have regular milk on hand and substituted almond-coconut milk which I thought gave it a really nice subtle flavor.

Also, a word to those who are using wild berries. I would soak the berries in water for several minutes before cleaning them more in a strainer. This will allow for more dirt (and I hate to say it, but bugs) to dislodge from the berries. After that, you basically just mix up the batter, pour it into a skillet, mash up some berries, pour those on top of the batter, and bake the cobbler for about an hour.


Then serve it with some ice cream, and begin to tell yourself that two servings of dessert is okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment