Monday, August 13, 2012

Suckers! aka Tomato Pruning

Man is it hot these days, but the tomatoes are lovin' it. I've eaten a few red cherry tomatoes here and there, but like almost everyone else in Portland, I've mostly been waiting patiently for the day when they all turn red at once. This is how it usually goes down out here even with indeterminate tomatoes.

In order to spend more energy ripening the fruit I have on the vine, I've been pruning my plants a bit. I spent yesterday morning cutting off unnecessary growth, and also removed the tomato "suckers." I think they're called "suckers" because they suck the energy away from the fruit, but I can't say for sure.

Tomato suckers are basically side shoots. The new growth occurs in the center between two branches or at the 'V' or 'crotch' of the branch. See pics below.

Once your tomato is at a shape and size you like, just snip away the new growth so the plant dedicates its energy toward producing and ripening fruit. While there are mixed schools of thought on tomato pruning, I tend to lie closer to the "let them be" end of the spectrum. I really only prune a little from time to time.

Some folks remove the new growth from the very beginning so that tomatoes just grow on one central stalk, but I like my plants a little bigger. I think having few more side shoots makes them better able to hold the weight of more fruit. I do think pruning is especially helpful when growing out-of-control cherry tomato varieties. Also, FYI, pruning is only important for indeterminate tomatoes, so if you're going determinants, I wouldn't recommend it as it could reduce your yield.

In addition to removing the suckers I also cut off a few branches that were getting too tall. I decided to put them in some water to see if they'd root. My dad successfully rooted a tomato branch he lost in a storm, so I'm giving these a try. I don't really have more room for more tomatoes at this point, so if you're in the area and need some extra plants, just let me know. :)




1 comment: