Monday, August 27, 2012

Thai Eggplant Green Curry


These guys have really taken off since my first attempt at hand-pollinating eggplant. In addition to being quite prolific and tasty, I think the plants themselves are kinda pretty. I like the shape of the leaves and pale purple flowers. The eggplants grow to about 7 inches long, but you can eat them when they're little to encourage more growth. I picked this variety up as a start this year. I didn't read or save the tag, but based on some online research, I'm concerned that it's a hybrid. This means I can't save the seeds. I've read about a few thai long green eggplant heirloom varieties, but I'm not sure that's what I have. I suppose I could save the seeds, and see what happens, but if it's a hybrid, it won't produce the same plant.                                                       Here's a quick lesson on seed saving science: hybrid seed is created by crossing two highly inbred (cross pollinated) plants. When the two inbred parents are crossed with each other, the result is F1 (first generation) hybrid seed. You have to repeat this process every year to produce the same hybrid type. The plants from F2 (second generation) are often sterile and won't produce an exact copy of the plant. It may have many of the same characteristics, or you might discover something really neat, but you could also end up with a big headache and no veggies. If risky experimentation isn't your thing, I'd suggest trying Louisiana Eggplant. I haven't grown it myself to say for sure, but it looks a lot like the Thai hybrid variety. It's a southern heirloom that will definitely allow for saving seeds. Personally, I'll be trying this one out next year instead. 

But for now, I'm going to enjoy my delicious Thai green eggplant in one of my favorite Thai dishes. When Drew and I go out for Thai, our go-to order is to share a fat noodle dish and a curry, and green is my favorite. I'm certainly not skilled or trained in Thai cooking, so this is my humble attempt at recreating one of my restaurant faves at home. I used tofu, but you can make this with chicken or any other meat. I think traditionally, green curry is just meat, eggplant, basil, and lime leaves, but I like lots of veggies so I added peppers, mushrooms, and some of the never ending zucchini from the garden. FYI: I wouldn't recommend substituting regular italian eggplant, as Thai and Japanese varieties have a softer flesh, are less watery, and much better at absorbing flavors.

Thai Eggplant Green Curry
  • I container extra firm tofu, cubed
  • 2-3 tbsp of green curry paste
  • 2 full sized Thai green eggplant (purple Japanese eggplant is fine, too)
  • 1 small zucchini
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • thai chili or jalapeno depending on your heat preference
  • large handful of mushrooms
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce (sub soy sauce if you're veggie, but the fish sauce really makes a difference with the flavor)
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • large handful of thai and/or lime basil
  • kaffir lime leaves (if you've got 'em--unfortunately I didn't have any)
  • more thai or jalapeno peppers for garnish
  • 2 limes
So, I cooked this in shifts. I stir-fried the tofu in a little oil until it was brown on all sides, and then set it aside in a bowl. Then I cooked the the eggplant and the zucchini in the same pan/wok. Stir-fry these veggies until the skin softens and is a little brown and slightly seared (about 3 mins). Add to the bowl with the tofu. Now for the final round, stir-fry the peppers for about 3 minutes on their own and add the mushrooms for an additional 3 minutes. Add those guys to the bowl as well. (If you're using other veggies, just cook things together that have a simliar texture/cooking time.
In a larger pot or wok, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat, and add the green curry paste. Thin the paste out in the oil and saute for like 30 seconds. It should be smelling pretty good right about now. Then add half the coconut milk and let simmer for a bit while you gather the other ingredients. Stir in the sugar, fish sauce, lime leaves, and remaining coconut milk. Bring to a boil, and add the bowl fully of tofu and mixed veggies. Squeeze in a lime.

Serve with jasmine rice and some lime wedges. Top with fresh thai/lime basil and fresh jalapenos.





No comments:

Post a Comment