Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tomatoes: Blossom End Rot & Cuttings Update

Well it looks like my pear tomato has some blossom-end-rot. Blossom-end-rot can be caused by several things, but it's most closely associated with calcium deficiency. It's also caused by erratic watering which prevents the plant from absorbing calcium. We've had some hot days recently, but I've been pretty good about consistent watering. Also none of the other tomatoes seem to be suffering (at least not now). A soil test would be the best thing to do, but I don't have one, so the next best thing: eggshells!

Putting eggshells in the planting hole when you transplant tomatoes is a great preventative as eggshells provide a slow release of calcium. Other flowering veggies like squash are also susceptible to blossom end rot, so this is a good idea for those, too. If you're like me, and didn't plant with eggshells--you can add them to the base of your plant later in the season. I used a hand shovel and tried to mix them up a little bit with the soil. I'll post later with an update.
It was perfect timing because I'm baking a birthday cake for someone special, and had some fresh eggshells ready to use.

In other tomato news, my cuttings in water are doing well. It's just been two days and they already have some roots on them. Looks like I need to add some more water though. I'm pumped at how successful this experiment was, however these tomatoes in water bring my tomato plant total to a ridiculous number I'm a little embarrassed to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment