Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pickled Beets

I've yet to meet a person who's on the fence about pickled beets. I think you either love em or hate em. I personally LOVE this recipe. The beet pickles are sweet and tender with a little mulled wine-like spice that reminds me of fall. Once again this is a small batch/refrigerator pickle recipe as I haven't really had a huge harvest of anything to justify formal canning.

Part of what made this batch so good was the HONEY. My family knows how much I love the honey from this little, off the beaten path, farm and petting zoo in Cottageville, South Carolina. 
I recently received a care package that included some goods from Bee City. Thank's y'all! I was especially excited about the honey dipper. I've always wanted one of those. Anyway, use high quality honey if you can--it really makes a difference. 

PICKLED BEETS
Makes 1 quart (two pint jars)
Approximately 4-5 beets
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water 
1 tbsp mulling spices (cloves, orange peel, cinnamon, allspice)
2 tsp pickling spice
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup honey
1/4 medium sweet yellow onion
2 sprigs of tarragon

Boil the beets in water for about 30 minutes until tender. Allow to cool and remove the skins. Slice or chop them depending on your preference. Bring the vinegar, water, garlic, bay leaf, pickling spice, and mulling spice to a boil. Add the honey. Remove from heat, and remove the bay leaf. Leave the other spices in the solution. Pack your jars with the onions, beets, and tarragon. Tarragon and beets are my new favorite flavor combination right now. You can't leave out the tarragon--this is a must! Pour the hot vinegar solution into the jars over the beets. Leave 1/2 inch from the top and seal. Allow to cool before placing in the refrigerator. Ready to eat the next day, but the flavor is better if you can wait two days. 

These beets are great added to salads, straight out of the jar, or served as a snack with some cheese and crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment