Sunday, June 24, 2012

We've been talking about starting a blog for a while, but now that I'm fun-der-employed, summer is slowly making its way to Portland, and veggies other than arugula are starting to grow, it seemed like the perfect time to get started.

We spent a long dog walk and a few additional hours at home coming up with a name. Highlights included 'Working on our Nightshades,' Gnome Mans Land,' (which I may still use as the title for a guerilla gardening blog) and 'Pistil Whipped.' It actually reminded me of all that time spent years ago coming up with my roller derby name in Nashville.

So before we get started, a few things you should know: I am not an expert gardener. Until a few years ago I never grew anything more than a few tomato and pepper plants I bought as starts at HomeDepot. Now I try to grow as much as possible from organic and heirloom seeds. I do occasionally buy starts when I get wooed at the garden store by interesting varieties like lemon cucumbers and thai eggplant. I bought a few more starts than usual this year as I missed my window of seed planting opportunity when I was busy studying for my graduate comprehensive exam. But all in all, the majority of what we grow has started from seed on a little tray on the side of our shed.

We don't use any pesticides, chemicals, or harmful sprays in our yard. I spend a lot of time trying to attract  ladybugs to my garden and making weird concoctions out of Dr. Bronners soap, vegetable oil, and garlic.

The majority of what I know about gardening I've read from books, blogs, and a lot of trial and error. I'd like to share what I've learned so far, as well as share all the delicious and fun things we cook (and brew) from our herbs and produce each year.


I intend to share my gardening failures as well celebrations, so we can all learn and make changes for next year. I've had a lot of luck so far, which may have more to do with the best Christmas present I received last year...my newest gnome--Papa Murphy!

No comments:

Post a Comment